Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Goals: the big and the small

While I was eating my breakfast this morning (fat free yogurt and a wonderfully ripe orange), I was thinking about what to talk about today; there's just so many things to talk about!  I was going to talk about nutrition but I decided to save that for another day and, instead, focus on goals.

You've probably heard it a hundred times, "write down your goals", "set goals", etc. etc.  Well, I'm here to tell you that YES writing down your goals will help you achieve them!  Write them down and post them where you can see them EVERY DAY!  Why does this help?  Consider the amount of things you have to worry about every day: school, work, family obligations, homework, when you're going to exercise, how are you going to eat healthy on a college campus, do these pants look good on me, grocery lists, facts, and the list goes on and on and on.  How are you ever going to give your goals the attention they deserve in that mess?  But if you write them down and say, tape them up in your bedroom where you'll see them every day, multiple times a day, you get a constant reminder of what you're working towards.

Ok, you probably already knew that, and if you're doing ChaLean Extreme (like I am) and you've listened to the motivational CD you know that Chalene thinks it's a good idea, too.  However, I'd like you to take it one step further.  I'd like you to set that goal and then break it up into smaller goals.  And then, I'd like to you go even one more step and pick rewards for each of the smaller goals.  Now, this is the wrong way to do this: Once I lose 20 pounds I will treat myself to a huge dessert buffet.  Trust me, you don't want to do it like that.

Pick things that are healthy and won't sabotage your hard earned goals.  So, maybe instead of the dessert buffet, treat yourself to a professional massage, or buy a cute new outfit.  Also, this doesn't only apply to fitness goals; you can apply it to any area of your life.  To give you an idea of what this might look like, I'm going to list MY goals for 2009.

My Fitness Goals

1. Get under 150 lbs -the reward- buy a Team Beachbody logo shirt
2. Get down to a size 10 jean -the reward- buy one new pair of jeans (size 10 of course)
3. Get down to a size 8 jean -the reward- buy a cute new outfit
4. Get down to a size 6 jean (my big goal) -the reward- by a bikini!
5. Complete 120 of CE -the reward- get certified to teach Turbo Kick!  (the gym version of turbo jam)

Goals for my Beachbody Coaching Business

1. Become an Emerald Coach -the reward- buy Hip Hop Hustle 1 & 2
2. Become a Ruby Coach -the reward- start getting a joint support supplement monthly
3. Become a Diamond Coach -the reward- Set aside money to attend Camp Turbo Kick or BB coach summit
4. Earn $100 in ONE month -the reward- start putting 50% profit towards paying off loans
5. Earn $1,000 in ONE month -the reward- a night in NYC (maybe see a broadway show or something)

So, as you can see, the rewards I set for myself a fun and healthy.  I really want to try Hip Hop Hustle so I won't let myself get that until I become an Emerald Coach.  That way not only is it more special when I get it, BUT it also gives me more motivation to reach that goal.  Similarly, I really want to get the joint support formula because I want to protect my knees but I can't afford that investment right now (since I already get 3 supplements: ActiVit, Core Cal-Mag, and Core Omega) but when I'm a Ruby coach I should be making enough money that I can afford to get the joint support.

Similarly, I really want to be a Turbo Kick instructor but my goal is to faithfully complete a full 120 day rotation of ChaLean Extreme (CE) so once I complete that I will allow myself to get certified.  And speaking of CE, not only am I almost done w/ my first 30 days, I have a date w/ some heavy weights in about 10 minutes, so I'm off to get my workout in for today!  Bye!

Your friend in health and fitness,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment